Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Five Year Anniversary

Today is my five year anniversary to my wonderful, amazing, sexy husband. Thankfully my parents are watching our son so we can get a night out alone. Nothing to fancy, just dinner at Applebee's and maybe a little shopping, but what we do doesn't really matter. The ritual of making sure we find time alone for a quiet, meal, adult conversation, and reminiscing about that special day five years ago where we pledged our selves to each other for all of eternity is what makes it special (and of course sex).

As I've said before I have no interest in bashing other religions, or faith systems and I know that these kinds of quandaries are not prevalent to everyone of a specific religious denomination. However, I've heard and read about a lot of people being concerned with whether or not they should celebrate an anniversary, a birthday, a holiday or even wear wedding bands and hand out gifts because they believe the practice to be "too pagan" or secular and not something ordained by their God. I don't know that I could live that way. Afraid to commemorate a special occasion with a celebratory ritual.

Why would God care whether or not they give someone a birthday present? Or whether or not wearing a wedding band is too pagan. Why can't we just be happy. As long as it's not harming someone else why does it even matter what we do? I'm not saying they're wrong. Obviously they need to do whatever feels right to them, I just couldn't live that way. It seems very...joyless. I'm sure they feel the same way about someone who's pagan and to me that's just why they are who they are and I am who I am and that's just the way it's meant to be.

All I know is I'm proud to wear my wedding band, and engagement band. I'm proud of the fact that we've been married for five years, and I'm glad that every year on the 14th of October my husband and I will find ourselves in some restaurant, talking about how nice we looked that day, and how much we still love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog