Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Council of Witches?

I've read from a few sources lately that the American Council of Witches is coming back. Well I guess for starters I'd have to say I didn't even know there had been one in the first place. It appears that back in the 1970s a group of Pagans formed themselves into a council with the purpose of looking out for the rights of various Pagan faiths and creating an interfaith dialog to dispel some myths about the pagan community. I won't lie, I kind of have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand I like the fact that finally there will be a council of people all hailing from different Pagan faiths willing to stand up for us all and say "We will be taken seriously and we will get involved." I also like that just maybe this can lead to people of Pagan faiths being taken seriously. Too often we are labeled by the media as just fan boys/girls who have watched The Craft one too many times, and taken Harry Potter way too seriously. We're all associated with adolescent confusion, drug use, and promiscuous sex. It would be nice to see a group of mature adults standing as our representatives.

However, I'm a little unnerved at the idea of a council of people standing up and saying this is what we all believe in. I'm also more than a little concerned about it shining a giant spotlight on the Pagan community and making it easier to attack us. I guess we'll just have to see what happens, I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog