Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Imbolc Mac & Cheese

With Imbolc right around the corner I start thinking of all sorts of yummy dairy laden delights to whip up. As I've mentioned before I can't really celebrate Sabbats. One way I can make the day a little more special for myself is by putting on my Kitchen Witch hat and cooking up a Sabbat themed meal.

One of my husbands favorites is my home made macaroni & cheese casserole. I love the versatility of this recipe. I've made a scrumptious seafood pasta bake with green onions and peas, I've made a ball park version with bell peppers and kielbasa, and I've made an Italian version with fresh herbs and sausage. Add a fresh salad with seasonal veggies on the side and you've got a full meal.

Despite the many ways I've transformed this our staple version is usually filled with chopped ham and broccoli. I hope you try it out for your Imbolc festivities.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound macaroni
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 8 ounces shredded Cheddar or Colby cheese (for a creamier cheese sauce use 4 ounces shredded and 4 ounces Velveeta)
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli
  • 1 large Ham steak chopped
Directions:
  1. Cook macaroni according to box directions, add broccoli during last few minutes of cooking time.
  2. In a medium saucepan melt the butter and saute onions and garlic on medium heat. When the onions are tender slowly stir in flour until it makes a yellow paste. Gradually whisk in milk stirring constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens (you'll know it's thick enough when it coats your whisk).
  3. Add salt, pepper and cheese and stir gently until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
  4. Combine cheese sauce, ham, broccoli and macaroni and pour into a greased 13x9inch baking dish.
  5. Bake for 30mins at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  6. When finished cover with tinfoil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog