Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You're Going Out in That?!?

Tonight I decided to post about a topic that may seem harsh but I feel should be addressed. Clothing and appearance. First let me say don't worry. I have no intentions on getting into some lengthy post telling you what's in this season. Also I'd like to make it clear that I am a full supporter of wearing what makes you comfortable and damn anyone who doesn't like it. Hell I've been known to go to walmart in my PJs myself. Now that being said....

If you are a regular reader you may be aware of the fact that I live in New England, more specifically Massachusetts. The state of the the beloved Witch City, otherwise known as Salem. Surprisingly enough, I've been there a few times. As I said before, you should dress in whatever way makes you the most comfortable with you, however some of these people (who I'm sure are all lovely in their own right) dress as if every day is Halloween, and yes I meant to say Halloween and not Samhain, because they all look like they're going to a who can find the most ridiculous outfit party. Now that's fine if that's the way you want to dress, but then don't be surprised when people can't take you seriously, and they think you're just some nut who never grew up.

I'm a little eccentric, and I can appreciate others who are as well but some of them man... wow, they just take it to a whole new level. They've got their eyes ringed in so much eyeliner they look like raccoons, long black robes, every color of the rainbow streaked through their hair, and enough jewelry to anchor a ship. Not just young people, oh no. I'm talking men and women in their 50's and 60's (and up) too. There's nothing wrong with a statement piece or two, but their entire bodies are statements. They just scream "LOOK AT ME, I'M ODD, LOOK AT ME." Then they babble on and on about how unfair it is that Witchcraft isn't taken seriously. Gee, I wonder why. You tell people "no it's not like The Craft, or Harry Potter, it's a real belief system" All the while they're looking at you thinking Then why do you look like you teach at Hogwarts.. didn't I see Snape wearing that same outfit, actually no, his was a little more tasteful.

I don't think it's right to judge people for the way they look, I don't, I think it's really unfair. The problem is, before someone opens their mouth the only impression you have of them is what they look like. Sadly enough, sometimes someones appearance is just too distracting to allow you to fully focus on what they have to say. Some of the more cliched looks are fun, and well down right sexy and I don't really have a problem with them, but the fact of the matter is you wouldn't wear a ball gown to go grocery shopping would you? and you wouldn't wear a nightgown to your sisters wedding. It's called dressing for the occasion.

I hate to put things this way.. but it makes us all look bad. Especially if someone asks you about the way you dress and you tell them it's "traditional ceremonial garb". First of ritual or ceremony is supposed to be sacred, it's a private communication between you and your Gods/Goddesses/Ancestors. So why are you wearing your "ceremonial garb" to Starbucks? Planning on calling the corners over your latte are we? I'm guessing not. Second of all, I'm a little bit of a history nut, there is nothing traditional about what these people wear. If that's what they're going for they might want to try something like this....
Not something that makes them look like an aging hooker, or Esmeralda after a bender.

Now I'm not trying to insult anyone but really take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself why you dress the way you do. Is it because you want to or simply because you can. Try to remember as you put on your eighth coat of mascara and are chipping the porcelain on your vanity with your 20 pound ankh necklace that the reason people don't take you seriously has nothing to do with your belief system. By all means dress whatever way you want, if you want to wonder around with a tinfoil hat and a cape, it's really none of my damned business. If however you dress like that simply for the attention and because you're trying to fit into the mold of what a Witch is "supposed" to look like, you're just adding to the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog